Winter is coming.
Yes, this is a phrase Game of Thrones fans might be overly familiar with, but it’s also an all-true statement for the next few weeks and months. And with the weather being more unpredictable this year than ever, now is a great time for you to up your game and prepare for winter.
We know that winter is right around the corner, which means you need to make sure you prepare your roof for the long season ahead and make it able to weather the coming storms – whenever they may be.
But how do you prepare your roof for such irregular weather?
With SPC Construction & Roofing it’s a breeze to make sure your roof is in tip-top shape for the wind, cold, rain, sleet, or snow that may be in the near future.
So, hunker in with a nice, hot cup of cocoa, a blanket, and your computer, and readon to see SPC Roofing’s safe and easy 5 steps to make sure your Christmas party doesn’t get wet from an unexpected leak or frosty from an unwanted draft.
1. Check out your attic. If you want a good idea of what’s going on with your roof, the attic is a really great place to start and you can even check it without going out into the rain, snow, or wind!
From your attic, you can check the insulation, drafts, leaks, and even temperature to get a good idea of how the exterior is doing without ever stepping foot outside.
No jacket required. This is why the attic-check is the number one place to start if you want to truly prepare your roof for winter.
2. Replace your sealants. If you have a chimney, antenna, brick or plumbing stacks exposed on your roof, then you could have a sealant issue if you do not check them often. And with winter not being the most pleasant of times to crawl around on your roof, make sure you check these potential issues before the winter chill sets in.
3. Clean your gutters. You knew we were going to say this. We said it last month and we’ll probably say it again next month and yet, here you still are with debris, twigs, and leaves stuffing your gutters like overstretched stockings.
Your roof will not survive the winter in good condition if it’s carrying the extra weight of blocked gutters which cannot do their job when the rain and snow of winter follow.
If you are like most of America and do not relish the thought of cleaning your own gutters, never fear. SPC Roofing is here to clear away the debris of fall and make sure your roof is prepared for winter.
4. Trim your trees. This goes right along with the previous tip. One of the reasons that your gutters are filled is possibly because you have trees too close to your home – or their branches are hanging over your roof, causing their leaves, smaller branches, acorns, and more to fall directly onto your roof and clog your gutters.
In addition to the potential gutter problems, having tree branches overhang your house is dangerous. You should always prepare your roof for winter with safety in mind.
Don’t let a bad storm drop heavy branches and cave in your roof. Instead, use preventative measures and trim back your trees before the seasons change. That way you can rest easy knowing you are safe, and you have prepared your roof properly for winter.
Final tree-trimming tip – trim your trees and then clean your gutters or else you might find yourself cleaning them twice before winter hits.
5. Assess your roof. This might seem like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised by how many people ignore problems or don’t even check to see if there is a problem, simply because they don’t want to deal with it.
But let the experts at SPC Construction & Roofing give you an unwanted truth bomb – roofing problems only get worse with time, not better – especially in the wintertime.
So, if you have a concern about your roof or just want to take some preventative measures and make sure you won’t have a future roofing hassle, get in touch with SPC Roofing to have a free inspection of your roof and fix that problem before Santa and his reindeer come crashing down.
No matter what your concerns or needs are, SPC Construction & Roofing is here to help you make your roof sound for the snow, strong for the seasons, and warm for the winter.
We offer free inspections, gutter cleaning, roof replacements, and roof repairs, so no matter your job, big or small, commercial or residential, we can help you winterize your building so a small leak doesn’t become a watershed problem in the middle of winter.
Give us a call today and let us do the rest!